This chicken apple carrot dog food recipe is easy to make and healthy for your pups! Especially if you have a dog who has struggled with their health (like many rescues) it can be beneficial to feed them real food.
Of course, it’s important to speak to your vet, and you’ll want to educate yourself to be sure you cover all the important vitamins and minerals needed for a healthy canine diet.
You know what you don’t need? A lot of additives and preservatives! That’s what we love most about real food for dogs. Our friends at Broken Weiner Refuge agree – they feed all their dogs a real food diet along with special protocols for exercise and healing.
You’ll get ALL the dogs attention when you cook up this yummy dish!
Chicken Apple Carrot Dog Food
- 3 carrots, washed & chopped
- 1 apple – peeled, cored, chopped (substitute a cup or so of natural applesauce with no sweetener, if needed)
- ¼ cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken
- 3 oz chicken livers, chopped
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 2 cups spinach leaves
(Preheat oven to 350)
- Step 1 – Place carrots, apples, and water into a pot. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer, 15 minutes.
- Step 2 – Wash eggs, Crack and whisk in a bowl; place eggshells on a baking pan.
- Step 3 – Bake eggshells in oven, 5-7 minutes.
- Step 4 – Remove eggshells from oven & crush finely using a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder.
- Step 5 – Place ground chicken, livers, eggs, ground eggshells, and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix until chicken is browned and livers are not pink, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6 – Place spinach on top of meat in skillet and cover to steam, about 5 minutes.
- Step 7 – Mash carrots and apples together and add to meat, mix together and serve!
Making your own dog food can be a most rewarding chore and when you choose healthy ingredients without over processed foods and preservatives – you can see a big difference in your beloved furry family members within a few short weeks!