Becoming a Foster Parent
Help Us Help Them!
We Need You to Foster, But More Importantly,
THEY Need You!
You only need to provide 3 main things to foster and give a dachshund in a shelter a second chance at life:
1. Safe Temporary Shelter 2. Food and Water 3. Love
If you can provide these simple things you can save a life!
*EVERYTHING ELSE NECESSARY IS PROVIDED BY LOW RIDER DACHSHUND RESCUE*
Foster Parents to agree to take the dog to an approved vet, take pictures for adoption marketing, communicate needs to their foster mentor, and work with our team to choose the best possible home for the dog they foster.
We cover the cost of all pre-approved necessary vetting & medications
We are contacted by shelters every day requesting we take into our rescue the dachshunds they consider “un-adoptable.” These dogs will NOT be adopted from the shelter because they are sick, injured, old or maybe even just frightened. Sometimes they are perfectly healthy and have been at the shelter long enough and are “running out of time” because the shelter needs to make room for incoming dogs. Others are in need of life-saving medical care the shelter cannot provide.
Rescue groups like LRDRFL are their only chance to live out the rest of their lives. Foster Homes provide the lifeline so rescue groups can take dogs from shelters and out of danger of being euthanized. We need to have a place for them to go, just temporarily, while they become well and an adoptive home is found. Of course all rescues like LRDRFL also need donations and volunteers, but without a place for the dog to go to get out of the shelter, we cannot take that first, vital step to give them a chance at life. That’s why we need YOU to become a Foster Home. Are you ready to make a difference between life and death for a dog in a shelter?
Isn’t it TOO Hard to Let Them Go?
We totally understand this sentiment. When you offer love and care to a dog in need, it’s easy to become attached. But what we have found is that, although it can be difficult watching them go, it is SO WORTH IT! We hear all the time from our foster parents that they are so blessed to be a part of finding the RIGHT home for the dogs they care for. It’s not always easy, but it is always worthwhile!
How To Become a Foster Home for Low Rider?
- Complete a Foster Application
- A representative will contact you to setup a home visit at your convenience as part of your application processing. This is a very simple visit and does not take long.
- Once processing is completed, you will receive an email to let you know whether or not you have been approved as a foster home for LRDR.
What are the Requirements to be a Foster Home?
- You must live in the state of Florida.
- You will need to make sure that any dogs in your home are up to date on vaccines (or at least on the schedule) with your local vet. *We make rare exceptions when there is a GOOD reason for not vaccinating your dog. Example: the dog is allergic to the vaccines or an extreme senior who is too anxious to go to the vet. You still need a good recommendation from the vet.
- Once approved you will be required to sign a Foster Home Agreement. You will then be eligible to foster a dog for LRDRFL and save a life!
Additional Things We Consider
A safe place (in Florida) with a loving and caring adult is the main requirement, but there are other things that experience tells us is important to consider:
- Experience caring for dachshunds OR the willingness to learn
- Time to spend at home caring for the dog
Please consider taking this step to help us help them. Please email [email protected] with any questions about fostering for Low Rider.