March is Pet Poison Awareness Month and we have tips to help you keep your precious furbaby from harm. Our dachshunds are such a part of the family, it’s important to know what hidden dangers may be lurking.
Pet Poison Helpline: 855-764-7661 This is a 24/7 helpline
- Dachshunds are hound dogs, they love stinky trash cans . . . but there are dangers inside. Take the trash out regularly and consider getting a locking lid for your can.
- Dachshunds LOVE to eat food we are eating, and we LOVE to give them treats! But did you know that excess amounts of garlic can make your dog sick? Too much is toxic, best to avoid it completely!
- In cold and flu season – while meds (even cough drops) make us feel better . . . they can kill our beloved doxies!
- Xylitol is used in some sugar free cough drops and leads to liver failure and even death in a dog. Avoid sugar free products all together to keep your dog safe.
- While we think responsible drinking with your dachshund in tow is a great idea, it’s important that you don’t let the dog indulge . . . no matter how much he begs!
- Avoid Avocado for the dog – The pit, skin, and leaves of avocados contain persin, a toxin that often causes vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. The fleshy inside of the fruit doesn’t have as much persin as the rest of the plant, but it is still too much for dogs to handle.
- Grapes and raisins are known to be highly toxic to dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this reaction. Because of that, peeled or seedless grapes should also be avoided.